St. Anne’s Parish, hosted tours of their historic church for Maryland Day 2015. St. Anne’s has a lot of significant in the history of Annapolis and Maryland. And generations of artisan’s artwork is part of the church.
First, a beautiful mosaic installed around 1900 above the main door.
Then, on to St. Anne’s beautiful stain glass windows. The church was bathed with facets of color from the sun shining in through the windows.
The oldest windows were installed in the church around 1870, after the Civil War. Two newer windows were made by California’s Hogan Studios in 1960.
Below are the two windows created by Tiffany Studios. The largest window was installed in the church after it had been exhibited at the 1893 Columbian Exposition, in Chicago.
There are more artwork, the stone alter and font …. sculpted by William Henry Rinehart, a Maryland sculptor (1825-1874). The walnut reredos was designed by Waldemar Ritter and carved by Oberammergau woodcarver Johannes Kirchmayer, in 1920.
The organ… made by Freiburger Orgelbau Company in 1975.
The whole church is created by artisans.
The walnut pews were made and installed in 1859.
What a wonderful way to celebrate art, history and Maryland.